Gallery


The heritage trail

A wonderful way to experience the idyllic small town Trosa is to walk to the old parts of the town and experience the footpath alongside the river and the narrow streets.

We hope that the walk has given you a nice memory from Trosa, now, when you are back at the famous market square.

1. Rådstugan (The Town Hall)

Trosa received its ”township” status from King Karl IX in 1610. The first Town Hall on this site was built in 1711 but the Russian invaders burned it down in 1719. The second Town Hall erected on the same site in 1725. That Town Hall was teard down in 1883. The Town Hall tower was preserved and relocated on the roof of the Police Station. A school was built at the site. The name of the park beside is ”Skolparken” (The School Park). The building now occupying the original Town Hall site was built in 1985 and is a replica of the second, 1725, version. Today it houses the Tourist Office and the Library.

Trosa Torg

2. Torgbron (The ”Square” Bridge)

This is the oldest bridge in Trosa and was formerly known as the Town Bridge. Trosa river flows under the bridge. It is possible to go 70 km through Sörmland to Trosa on various rivers and lakes.

3. Bryggarebron (The Brewery Bridge)

The bridge belonged originally to a brewery which was situated on the east side of the river, they had the warehouse on the west side. The Brewery produced beer and soft drinks until 1902. The brewing equipment can be seen in the museum in Arboga.

4. Gamla skolhuset (The old School House)

The elementary/primary school dates from the 18th century and is one of the oldest schools in Sweden. Teaching took place on the upper floor until 1884. The ground floor was an almshouse.

5. Garvaregården (The Tannery)

The ancient monument Garvaregården (The Tannery) is an arts and crafts house from the 18th century. The Culture Association is responsible for the town museum and it´s unique collections. The Tanner´s house and his workshop can be seen. There is also a café and a handicraft shop. Open during the summer.

6. Trosa Stadskyrka (Trosa Town Church)

The Town Church was consecrated in 1711. It is one of the oldest preserved buildings in Trosa. It was spared from the fire by the Russians in 1719 as they used it as a stable.

7. Gröna torget (The Green Square)

This block was burnt down in 1863 and two pieces of land were bought by the Municipality. The block was called the Little Market Square but after planting trees and flowers around 1900, the park´s name was changed to the Green Square.

8. Punschgränd (The Punsch Liquor Alley)

In this alley the Trosa Spirituosa aktiebolag produced a special arrack-flavoured liquor called ”Trosa Yellow”, ”Green” and ” Blue”. It was served to the Bathing Society in the beginning of the 20th century.

9. Trosa Stadshotell

This building became a hotel in 1872. The park of the hotel was a meeting place for the society’s conviviality. In the 1920s five young poets, among them Harry Martinsson and Artur Lundkvist, met here and published the anthology ”Fem unga” in 1929. Albert Engström and Gunnar Ekelöf were other writers who were loyal and regular visitors. Sven Delblancs novel Hedebyborna was partly filmed in this hotel.

10. Societetshuset (The Society House)

Societetshuset at the foot of Trosa Alps, is a memory of Trosa’s glory days as a popular seaside resort around the turn of the century. Its genesis turned the city upside down. Half the city council resigned in protest because they wanted to build a new Town Hall instead. The construction started and the grand opening took place in 1902. The Bathing Society gathered here for balls, soirees and other events. The summer began with a presentationsbal which usually took all night. This is a private property.

11. Gamla polis- & brandstationen (The old Police- & Firestation)

This building was both a police- and firestation. The tower was earlier placed on the roof of the old Town Hall at the square.

12. Gamla sjukstugan och rådhuset (The old Hospital and Town Hall)

The park is named Rådhusparken after the yellow building that is the Town Hall which was used from the early 1900s. Opposite is the old infirmary which was also the maternity hospital. Next to the yellow house is a small yellow house, the dairy, where it used to be able to fetch milk. In both buildings there are now offices for Trosa municipality. Rönnebo is located behind the Town Hall Park, a building designed by the royal architect Lars Israel Wahlman, built in 1895. From the 1930s until the 1970s, Rönnebo was a guest house, today it´s a private home.

13. Villabron (The Villa Bridge)

It is alleged that the bridge was built so that the summer visitors who rented accommodation on the east side of the river could more easily cross over to the west side.

14. Ågården

Ågården was previously the residence of Dr Mortimer Haerén, on whose initiative the footpath alongside the river were constructed.

Hamnplan (The Harbour)

Originally built to service the flourishing fishing industry, the harbour nowadays plays host to the yachs and cruisers of the summer visitors. On the eastern quay you can see Tullhuset (Custom House), formerly called Miramare. The fishermen had to pay tax here when they came in from the archipelago to sell fish on the market.

15. Suckarnas bro (The Bridge of Sights)

It is said that the bridge got its name from the sighing of parting lovers as the steamboat left with the summerguests in the fall. The footpath out to the pier is called Kärleksstigen (the Love Trail).

16. Smörbyttan (The Butter Bucket)

The harbour ends at a stone pier called the Butter Bucket. When you arrive here you have reached ”World´s End” and have to walk the same way back. In the past, there was only one road to Trosa. Trosa was located at the “Road’s End”.

17. Gamla rökeritomten (The old Smokehouse plot)

Trosa was well known for its herring smokehouse and many of the inhabitants in the city lived on fishing. Today, it houses a restaurant and where the smokehouse once was located there is now a new residential area.

18. Bomans

There has been a hostelry and coaching Inn on this site since the 18th Century. It is still a place for visitors to stay, eat and enjoy the beautiful environment.

19. Åbladstugan

The cottage was built after the fire in 1719 and is one of the oldest buildings in Trosa and the only preserved ”Skärborgarstuga” (Fisherman`s cottage). The fishermen were called ”Skärborgare” and moved far out to the islands with their families during the summer. They did not return until the autumn with their salted and dried fish. They lived along this street. This kind of fishing ceased in the 1860s.

20. Skolparken

The park was named after the elementary school, a beautiful building, that was located here. The school burned unfortunately down a stormy december night in 1976. The statue ”Skärborgaren”, placed in the background, was created by Lena Lervik. It shows a fisherman taking his family and livestock out to the archipelago for the summer season.

ADS:

X